Sunday, May 7, 2017

Open Class

Was contemplating whether I should write about this and I decided to. So last fri (5 May), Jianing jio-ed to go open class together and initially I was really excited to go cause I really damn long never dance already. But then when it was time to actually travel from dhoby (we went to sing k before that and yaz it was fun as usual) to converge I started to feel the fear and like wanted to back out HAHA. But then Zile and Jianing persuaded me to just go and that it was normal to feel scared right before but that I would not regret going (which I thank all the gods for these friends cause not only did I not regret, I really enjoyed myself alot).


Signed up for the student classes' package which is 5classes for $40, a decent price I would say. Went into class not expecting much because I was scared to the max. Warm up started and errmaigawd, I could feel the consequence of not dancing for almost a month. My muscles were stiff and weak at the same time (till today as in Sunday, I'm still aching like SHIT). But then I felt a little relief cause the stretch and everything was really what I needed.

Choreography teaching started and initially everything seemed so abstract to me HAHAHA. Maybe cause I never dance for damn long then my body don't know how to coordinate anymore. This choreography has a lot feels and a lot of space to fill in. This choreography is personally the kind of style that I like. Really very minimalist in terms of techniques and moves. But it is exactly that, it allows the dancers to have very different interpretation of the dance and the freedom to inject their own emotions and groove into the choreography. If you watch the videos (if i decide to insert it in there, if not hahaha it's on my insta), each dancer does each move quite differently. And this, I feel, is like the beauty of dance where no one dance is really going to be exactly the same as another.

Later on, I went to a hiphop open class and this one really no joke, I regretted literally the second after I paid. HAHAHA But all is well, thank gawd for my little flair for picking up choreography decently quick so I wasn't exactly lagging behind. But HAHAHA I can't bear to watch myself in the video. The choreography so cool but I ruined it with my octopus ways. Note to self: Never EVER go for hiphop class barefooted, it hurts.

All in all, I felt really satisfied that night. Like even though I really felt like a potato, I was at least a happy potato. Super thankful for Jianing and Zile for persuading me to go cause it is always the first step that is the hardest. But I'm especially thankful for Jianing for really making the effort to make sure I'm okay during class. Contemp was not that bad so she would just look over once in a while BUT during hiphop, I really felt very touched when she keep on walking over to ask if I'm okay. I'm glad that for once, I was taken care of without burdening the person too much.

Posted the contemp video on insta (cause I cringe everytime I watch the hiphop one) and really thankful for the comments. I know I may seem like I'm fishing for compliments but no, I'm not. Yes, I'm damn happy and thankful for those comments BUT I don't expect them. And one comment in particular really stuck me straight in the heart.

"you look good leh have more confidence!!" 

This really shocked me a little. Firstly, I'm not close to this friend. Secondly, I'm pretty sure my caption didn't contain any emo shit HAHAAHHA. It's just another reminder that the growth that I need now is the growth in my confidence. Without confidence, my skills (whether anot I have them) ain't going to bring me anywhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment